Frequently Asked Questions

Listed below are responses to frequently asked questions about CDAnet.

CDAnet Resources

Q. What CDAnet resources are available?

A. The CDAnet Dental Office User Guide is provided to assist you in sending claims electronically through CDAnet formatted messages. All staff processing claims are encouraged to read the Dental Office User Guide.

A. The CDAnet Supported Transaction document provides a detailed list of the types of transactions supported by the networks and insurance carriers on CDAnet.

Subscribe to CDAnet

Q. Who can subscribe to CDAnet?

A. You can subscribe to CDAnet when you are a licensed dentist and a member in good standing with the provincial/territorial dental association. Do not submit the CDAnet Subscription Agreement form until the license and membership information is confirmed.

Q. How do I subscribe to CDAnet?

A. Each dentist in an office who plans to transmit claims must complete a CDAnet Subscription Agreement to subscribe to CDAnet.

Q. What are the steps to subscribe to CDAnet?

Step 1 Complete all the mandatory fields on the CDAnet Subscription Agreement form.
Step 2 Sign the completed form to confirm agreement to all the terms and conditions regarding the use of CDAnet.
Step 3 Fax the completed CDAnet Subscription Agreement form to 613-523-7070.
Step 4 CDAnet will contact the office to provide a CDAnet unique identification number (UIN), a CDAnet office number (if not already assigned) and start date.

Q. How do I subscribe to CDAnet from multiple offices?

A. To transmit claims from multiple offices, you must submit one CDAnet Subscription Agreement form per office.

Dentist UIN – What you need to know

Q. When is it appropriate to send a claim under the UIN of a different dentist for services I provided?

A. Never. Claims must always be sent under the Unique Identification Number (UIN) of the treating dentist. For services provided by an associate dentist, the claim must be sent under the UIN of the associate. However, if a claim is being transmitted to a claims processor that supports version 4 of the CDAnet Messaging Standard, then the field Billing Provider Number can identify the dentist who is to receive assigned benefits. This feature is not available for claims processors who can only receive version 2 claims. (See the CDAnet Supported Transaction document).

Q. Can I transmit claims for hygiene services provided by an independent dental hygienist?

A. No. An independent dental hygienist must submit benefit claims under her or his own Unique Identification Number (UIN) as an independent dental hygienist using their own system, not CDAnet. When transmitting dental claims with a modem or on the Internet with ITRANS, only the services provided by the treating dentist or a dental hygienist employed by the dentist can be transmitted under the dentist’s UIN.

Q. How do I request to Change to a Dentist UIN?

A. The Unique Identification Number (UIN) changes when a dentist becomes a certified specialist. The UIN is suspended when there is a change to license status. Use Request to Change/Suspend Dentist UIN form to request CDAnet change a UIN due to a specialty registration, or to suspend the UIN due to a change in license status. CDAnet will inform all carriers/claims processors of the changes. You do not need to contact the carriers. The change in UIN will apply to all the CDAnet offices you are registered in.

Office ID for Satellite Office Setup

Q. We are opening a satellite office and will network the computers there to the main office – do we still need a different office ID for the satellite office?

A. Yes. More and more practices are choosing to network the computers from satellite offices so all the claims are transmitted from the main office. Although it may make administrative sense that those claims would have the office ID of the main office so that any cheques for assigned reimbursements would be delivered to the main office, the purpose of the Provider Office Field in an electronic claim is to identify the location where the services were provided. This is reinforced in the CDAnet Subscription Agreement each CDAnet dentist signs where it states that the dentist certifies that, “…the dental claim is an accurate statement of services performed, the provider who performed them, the Office at which they were performed and of the total fee payable…”

If a claim is being transmitted to a claims processor that supports version 4 of the CDAnet Messaging Standard, then the field Billing Office Number can identify the main practice office. This feature is not available for claims processors who can only receive version 2 claims. (See the CDAnet Supported Transaction document).

Patient Information

Q. Do patients need to sign anything to transmit claims electronically and how do I change patient address information?

A. Yes, a patient has to sign a statement authorizing the dental office to transmit his or her claims electronically. The authorization information and a template for printing authorization labels can be found in the CDAnet Dental Office User Guide.

Q. How do I change a patient's address?

A. Update the information on your computer. The new address will be reflected on subsequent claims.

Office Information Changes

Q. The dental office information has been changed, the office is moving, or closing, or a dentist is no longer working from the CDAnet office. What should I do?

A. CDAnet must be notified if any of the office information has changed. You can notify CDAnet of changes by completing the CDAnet Update Dental Office Information form. CDAnet will inform all carriers/claims processors of your office changes. You do not need to contact the carriers.

Claims Processing Procedures and Transmission Issues

Q. Why did I receive a message advising me that I am not authorized to access CDAnet?

A. If you recently subscribed to CDAnet and are unable to transmit claims to any of the CDAnet insurance carriers, contact the CDAnet Help Desk at 1-800-267-9701 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. (EST) to verify that you and the claims processors are using the same identification numbers.

Q. I cannot transmit claims to an insurance carrier and cannot correct an error message? What should I do?

A. In the event that dental office staff cannot correct an error message, the problem should be referred back to the networks, as they are the ones sending the message back on behalf of the insurance carrier. The networks can pull up the claim (using the CDAnet office number) and find out why the error was sent. Before you call the network, make sure that you have noted the CDAnet error message you received, have the CDAnet office number and the dentist unique identification number (UIN) ready. (See the CDAnet Supported Transaction document for network help desk phone numbers).

Q. What if the network has not received my claim?

A. Contact your software vendor for support.

Q. What should I do if a claim or predetermination is rejected?

A. You will receive an error message on your screen explaining the reason for rejection. Correct the error(s) and resubmit the claim or predetermination, using a new claim reference number. If your system does not accept the changes, call the applicable carrier. If you receive an error that you don't understand, call the CDAnet Help Desk at 1-866-788-1212, between 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. (EST) Monday to Friday or email

Q. I received a message stating "Network error, please resubmit claim." Is there something wrong with my computer system?

A. No, this message indicates that there was a temporary transmission problem. Try submitting the claim again.

Q. I'm getting an invalid carrier ID code. What does that mean?

A. It means that the ID number you have programmed for the insurance company is incorrect. Verify the information on the CDAnet Supported Transaction document and make any necessary changes. If you're unsure on how to change this information, contact your software vendor for additional help.

Q. I received a message stating "Error code ___". What does this mean?

A. Contact your software vendor to request that descriptions be added to these error codes. A list of error codes can also be found in your CDAnet Dental Office User Guide.

Q. The icon (or window B, depending on the software) is not giving me the option to use CDAnet. Why not?

A. Either the dentist record in your software is not configured to allow electronic claims or the carrier record in your software does not indicate support for electronic claims. Contact your software vendor in order to update the information found in your software to correct the above issue.

Q. Can I send claims after normal business hours?

A. Yes, you will receive a Claim Acknowledgement shortly after submitting the claim. CDAnet claims may be transmitted by telephone modem between 5:30 a.m. and 1 a.m. (EST) seven days a week, excluding statutory holidays. CDAnet claims may be transmitted to ITRANS 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays. If the carrier system is not available, the ITRANS system will acknowledge receipt of the claim, and forward the claim to the carrier system when it becomes available.

Q. Can I reverse a claim that was submitted yesterday?

A. No, a claim reversal can only be performed on CDAnet on the same day the claim was submitted. Call or write the claims processor, quoting the claim reference number shown on the Explanation of Benefits or Claim Acknowledgement, and inform the Claims Department of the error. If the dental office staff does not know how to do a claim reversal, they should contact their insurance carrier for information. If the claim cannot be reversed on the same day due to errors, the dental office must send a manual claim form with a letter referencing the initial claim to the insurance company.

Q. I tried to reverse a claim, and received a message asking me to try again later. What happened?

A. The claims processor was unable to handle your request for a claim reversal at the time it was submitted. Try to reverse the claim again later in the day. If you are unable to reverse the claim on the same day, follow the procedures outlined in the question for sending a claim reversal manually.

Q. What if a patient deals with a claims processor that is not participating in CDAnet?

A. The insured should continue to submit his or her claims on paper.

Q. Where do I receive updates?

A. Your software vendor supplies updates to your practice management software. Updates such as new carriers, carrier networks and supported transactions types will appear on the CDAnet website on the News page, and in the supported transactions list on the Networks and Insurance Carriers page.

Q.  What is the difference between Batch Mode and Real Time?

A. Batch processing means that the insurance carrier will adjudicate all claims at a predetermined time rather than on an as received basis. When a claim is sent to a batch processing system, you will receive a Claim Acknowledgement in response, not an Explanation of Benefits. The claim will usually be adjudicated later in the day or overnight.

A. Real time processing means that when you submit a claim, the claims processor will adjudicate it and send an Explanation of Benefits response back to you immediately (approximately 20-40 seconds). Refer to the Dental Office User Guide for more information.