What are CDA Digital IDs?
CDA Digital IDs are used to verify the identity of a dentist when sending CDAnet messages with ITRANS in order to authenticate the sending dentist. The digital IDs are only available from the CDA Practice Support Services website, and each one is specific to the dentist named in the ID, and the office where the dentist is practicing. CDA Digital IDs protect dentists from someone else submitting claims with their name (identify theft).
September 15, 2023
Your CDA Digital IDs May Need Updating
The following only applies to dental offices sending claims using “ITRANS 1”. Only perform the update below if you are confident you use ITRANS 1 (not ITRANS 2.0). Here are three ways to know if you are using ITRANS 1:
- You received an email from CDA indicating you are using ITRANS 1 and to complete the update below.
- You open the Task Manager on your computer and see a program in the Processes column called the “iCA” running. On the details screen, it is called “iCA.exe”.
- You called the CDA Help Desk (1-866-788-1212) and they confirmed you use ITRANS 1.
What update is needed?
The CDA Digital IDs need to be updated to a new version. You need to run the software linked below to update the IDs. This is a one-time process that will take less than 10 minutes.
What to do:
- Sign-in to the computer that sends the dental claims – this is usually a server. However, sometimes each workstation where the end user sends claims needs to be updated. If you are not sure, contact the CDA help desk.
- Download this software by clicking on the link and choosing Save: CDA Digital ID Updater
- Once downloaded, double-click on the software – it will ask if you want to install the software – say “yes” and click the “Next” on all prompts. No need to make any changes.
- Once installed, run the software. The software will search for CDA Digital IDs that need to be updated. Click “Replace yellow highlighted Digital IDs” to update CDA Digital IDs for dentists who are still practicing at the office and then Click “Delete red highlighted Expiring Certificates” to remove unused and expired IDs. See below.
- Complete the process, and exit the program – the update is now complete. This must be completed on each computer running the “iCA”.
Please see below for answers to some common questions.
A. CDA Digital IDs are expiring in October 2024. This process solves the issue and ensures that CDA Digital IDs don’t expire all at once.
A. No, this is a one-time process. The new CDA Digital IDs have a 15-month term, and you will be notified when its time to renew using the standard process available in the CDA Practice Support Services website. Note, if your office upgrades to ITRANS 2.0, the renewal of CDA Digital IDs is automatic.
A. The CDA Digital ID updater software scans the digital IDs (called “certificates” by the computer) and looks for certificates set to expire on or before October 2024. For each one it finds, it asks if it should be replaced. If yes, then the Digital ID is replaced, and the old one is deleted.
A. CDA will be monitoring the activity to ensure offices are completing the required software update prior to October 2024. Communications will be sent to offices that still require the digital IDs to be updated.
A. The software update is hosted on the CDA website and we do not send links to the software which is susceptible to malware. Also, the software update installer is “signed”. If you review the properties for the software, a digital certificate is listed which verifies the organization the produced the software. In this case, you will expect to see CDA’s subsidiary, Continovation Services Inc. listed.
A. Call the CDA Help Desk at 1-866-788-1212.