The following rules will be observed at all test centres administering the DAT.
Note: Once DAT applicants enter the examination room, they become DAT candidates.
You will need to arrive at your scheduled Test Center 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. This will give you adequate time to complete the necessary sign-in procedures.
- Candidates arriving after the reporting time will not be allowed to participate in the examination and will have to re-register for the next scheduled DAT. DAT fees are not refundable or transferable.
- You will be provided with all the necessary tools to be used during the DAT exam.
- Pencils, markers, rulers that are not provided by the DAT Administrator are not permitted during the DAT.
- You may use your booklet paper as scrap paper.
- To ensure candidates complete the exam within the allotted amount of time, all answers must be recorded on the answer sheet to be graded and not in the test booklet.
- During the manual dexterity component of the DAT, students are permitted to use medical examination or surgical gloves if they wish. Students must supply their own gloves.
- Applicants are required to take the complete examination. A score of zero will be reported for a submitted blank answer sheet. Applicants unable to complete the full exam are required to submit a new registration form and fee to participate in any subsequent testing period.
- No test material or miscellaneous notes are to be taken from the examination room. Candidates are not permitted to tear pages out of the test booklets for any reason.
- The test booklet is the property of CDA and must be returned. The booklet is numbered for security purposes. If a test booklet is missing, the scores of the candidate assigned the missing numbered booklet will be voided.
What to Bring
You will need the following to be admitted to the test:
- A copy of your official DAT Confirmation and Admittance Letter.
- Two pieces of government-issued identification bearing your signature; one piece of identification must also include your photo.
What not to Bring
Items brought into the testing room are susceptible to theft and also may be misplaced. Do not bring valuables as you will be asked to leave them in an area of the testing room out of your reach and sight.
In the event of an emergency, you may be required to immediately vacate the room, and you may need to leave your belongings behind.
Invigilators are not responsible for personal items brought into the testing room. Items brought into the testing room are brought at your own risk.
Test centre supervisors and the Canadian Dental Association are NOT responsible for test takers' personal belongings.
The only items allowed on your desktop in the testing room during the DAT exam are:
- Photo Identification
- DAT Confirmation and Admittance Letter
- Center-provided pencils
- Pencil Sharpener
Beverage and snack are NOT permitted on the desktop and may be accessed only during the break.
If you access anything else on your desktop without permission your test may be invalidated. If you access, check, or turn on your cell phone at any time during your test session (including your break) your test may be invalidated.
Under no circumstances can test takers access their belongings, including prohibited devices, during the DAT, including during breaks. Please limit what you bring to the test and do not bring valuables.
These items are NOT permitted on your desktop and must be kept stored away at the designated storage area. They cannot be accessed during test breaks.
Prohibited electronic items include but are not limited to:
- Electronic timers of any kind
- Electronic cigarettes
- Fitness tracking devices
- All watches (including analog watches, digital watches, alarm watches, beeping watches, calculator watches)
- Cell phones, pay phones, beepers, pagers, personal digital assistants (PDAs)
- Personal computers
- Photographic or recording devices
- Listening devices
- Headsets, iPods, or other media players
Prohibited non-electronic items include but are not limited to:
- Books, dictionaries, papers of any kind
- Mechanical pencils
- Mechanical erasers or erasers with sleeves
- Ink pens or felt-tip markers
- Briefcases, handbags, backpacks of any kind
- Hats/hoods (except religious apparel) may not be worn on the head
Items Allowed During DAT Exam Breaks
During your scheduled breaks, you may access only food, water, and medication.
Do NOT access your cell phone or any other electronic device. Better yet, leave these devices at home or in your car.*
Do NOT access any notes or other study materials.
Do NOT leave the Testing Centre.
If you need to access food, water, or medication, make sure to remove the item from any bag, purse, or backpack you may have brought to the Testing Centre. The bag MUST remain in the designated storage area at all times.
*If you need to make an urgent communication, you must check with the test administrator and explain the circumstances why you need to do so, and must do so in his/ her presence.
During the Exam
- Candidates are responsible for protecting the integrity of their answers. If cheating is detected during the examination, those involved, whether they are the copiers or those copied from, will have their test scores voided.
- Ensure that you identify yourself on the DAT answer sheets, by verifying your name, student identification number, and signing your DAT answer sheets.
- Read all the instructions on the test booklets before asking a test invigilator for clarification.
- You may not be permitted to leave the testing room during the DAT examination.
- If an emergency alarm sounds, follow verbal instructions. If you are told to vacate the room, leave your test on the desk.
- Follow the instructions of those in charge at your DAT test centre. You must remain quiet at all times. Discussing the DAT questions or consulting another student's notes during this time can result in the voiding of your DAT.
- When the test is over, put down your pencil and follow the instructions about the collection of tests.
Completing the DAT answer sheets
It is the applicant's responsibility to indicate his or her proper DAT ID number on each section of the exam. DAT identification numbers, DAT test centre numbers and your answers must be clearly entered on your DAT answer sheet. The DAT office will not transcribe any answers or corrections on your DAT answer sheet under any circumstances. This is entirely your responsibility and must be done within the time allocated during the examination.
- Mark 1 and only 1 answer choice to each question.
- Be sure to completely fill in the space intended for your answer choice.
- If you mark the incorrect space, please ensure that it is properly erased.
Leaving the exam
You may not be permitted to leave the testing room in the last 10 minutes of scheduled test time so that the collection of DAT answer sheets can be controlled. Do not leave without handing in your test. Taking a test – even a blank one – from the testing room could result in the voiding of your DAT scores.